Reflecting and Venting...

I grow weary. I am weary in some ways right now. I need a revival, a refreshing of my spirit and mind. It's funny when I look at my actions, and behind those actions rest my true beliefs. That's discouraging. It's hypocritical. My words must match my actions. How dissatisfied will I become before I am willing to break away from sins cycles like self-pity, self-righteousness, and unrelenting anger? It's sad that I must ask the question, but it's the reality.

I also have been too focused on matters of social justice. Attention to these issues are God-honoring if balanced and properly intertwined with the Gospel, but it is so tempting to get passionate and fired up about how unjustly people are treated around the world, when, at the same time, I forget that meeting a physical need must not become separated from the spiritual need. People need food and Jesus. Jesus said, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst" (John 6:35). As a friend recently put it, we are tempted to wear our "merit badges," propagating our moral causes without respect, reverence, and continued reference to the Word who became flesh and dwelt among us (John 1:14). In a way, I'm saying, "Look at my morality! Look at what I stand for!" This should also not be a temptation to arrogantly separate ourselves from others based on our "special convictions."

Christ can take my sins away. How much do I believe that? It's so easy to continue in the same mindset. It's so hard to trust in something outside of myself. It's simply unbelief and a lack of faith on my part. Do I trust that I can and have been washed white as snow? I read the commands in Scripture, the real answers to solve my problems, but I continue to trust my self-sufficiency. I foolishly think that my reasoning is impeccable. What's wrong with this picture?

I am not God. I am not the embodiment of truth because I can hardly ever trust my own judgment. I often get myself into trouble due to my faulty perspective. If I try to trust my own judgment, then I often find myself second-guessing my actions. Therefore, I plead and cling desperately to the cross of Christ.

15 He [Jesus Christ] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.

21 And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him, 23 if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister. -Colossians 1:15-23

What can wash away my sins? Nothing but the Blood of Jesus
What can make me whole again? Nothing but the Blood of Jesus
Oh, precious is the flow
that makes me white as snow
No other fount I know
Nothing, but the Blood of Jesus

Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts