Henry's Birthday & Our Weekend at the Hospital

The 4 Byrds!!

Thursday morning, May 3, I finally began to feel real contractions every now and again... I also noticed my back and hips felt really loose (among other labor symptoms). I figured we would have a birthday party before the end of the weekend and began to get excited! I took Charlie to play outside before it got too hot, wondering if this would be the last weekday I would take care of him by himself before his little brother's arrival. We had a great time trotting around our apartment complex and then went to Target to buy him a little Lightning McQueen matchbox car. Our buddies Ashlyn and Tara came over when we got home, and after lunch Charlie and I took a nice, long nap snuggled up on the couch together. I remember feeling satisfied that we had a fun day together, should this be our last one without Henry.
Pizza was for dinner, then I rushed off to Garner to attend a visitation for a close friend's grandfather. This was the last thing I wanted to attend before having a baby. Once I got home, Jimmy and I ate ice cream together, then I sat down and read for a couple of hours. Contractions came and went with no apparent rhythm, and every so often I asked Jimmy what time it was, trying to keep an eye on the contractions. Before I went to bed at midnight I told Jimmy the time might be close at hand. When I laid down upstairs I decided to start timing the contractions "just in case," hoping that this was it, but not trying to get too excited too soon. I soon realized tht they were 5-7 minutes apart, and about a minute long, and used the breathing techniques I had practiced to get through them. At about 1AM I called Mom to tell her I thought Henry was on his way. Then I went downstairs to get Jimmy (he was doing homework) and asked him to help me time contractions and breathe for a while. After about half an hour, we decided to call our doula Paige. She said to time a while longer, then call her back. She arrived about 2AM, and we timed contractions for a while longer before calling Tara, who was coming to stay with Charlie. By this point the contractions were about 3 minutes apart, still lasting about a minute, and pretty painful. 
We got in the car to head to the hospital around 3AM, and that is a car ride I shall not soon forget. We put Keith Urban on repeat and Jimmy did his best to help me relax. 
We finally arrived and were taken to the OB floor. There was only one other patient there, so the hall was quiet and peaceful. Around 4AM we found out I was 7 cm. I was shocked, relieved, and intimidated- shocked and relieved to have progressed so much, but intimidated that it was only going to get worse before it got better. But Paige and Jimmy diligently helped me through each contraction- Jimmy massaging my lower back and Paige helping me keep focused and sane. We were all making this deep "oohhhhhhhh" noise during contractions which helped me through them (apparently women usually develop some kind of rhythm or ritual to deal with the pain, so I guess this was mine). They also helped keep me on track when I started asking for an epidural... I had wanted to do it without meds, and they helped me stay focused on that goal and keep going. Around 6AM my doctor arrived and we found out I was 9 cm. I asked her if she would stay with me, and she sat right there on the side of the bed, put her arm around me, and labored with me through every contraction I had until Henry was born. My mom came in shortly thereafter, which was also very comforting. She prayed me through the contractions and rubbed my leg. I was so, so thankful to have Jimmy, Mom, Paige, and Dr. Mabry all around me through the transition period of labor. They were incredible support and the reason I was able to get through everything. At one point someone opened the blinds in the room and we saw a beautiful sunrise- a surreal moment in the midst of everything! Finally, as we got closer to the end I started to get panicky, but Paige and Dr. Mabry helped me get refocused again. Shortly thereafter we welcomed Henry to the world at 6:59 AM!

Here I am, after it was over. That's Paige with me.
I'm not sure why I'm giving the peace sign. I think I was just excited and relieved!

Our little man! His face was kind of blue-ish when he was born because the umbilical cord had been wrapped around his forehead.

With his cute little cap on!

Henry's birthday cake (we did this for Charlie too!)

Dressed in some clothes we brought with us from home

Friday morning Mandie came by the hospital to visit, and Mom stayed throughout the day. Jimmy and I mainly just tried to rest and recuperate. (I was too wound up to sleep until the afternoon, though!) We had Cook-Out for lunch, one of the several times that weekend we ate food from there!
That evening Dad and Daniel came to meet their new grandson and nephew!

Saturday morning our friends Jenny and Daniel and the Bowen family drove all the way to Oxford to visit. We were very excited to introduce Henry to friends and enjoyed our company. 
Then, on Saturday afternoon Charlie and Henry got to meet! It was precious to watch!
He was staying that weekend with our good friends the Porters, and they brought Charlie dressed in this:



They even brought one for Henry! So thoughtful!


Getting to meet his little brother:


Excited!

He was very interested in his brother!

Ashlyn and Bryson held him too:


Eating some of Henry's birthday cake:

Charlie not only met his brother, he had a great time exploring the hospital room as well... getting in and out of the shower, opening and closing the bathroom door, spinning the stool seat around, running around, etc.
Here he is taking a break from all the excitement!

Granana holding her boys:

Charlie trying to give Henry a kiss:

Such sweet, precious boys- can't believe how blessed I am to have them!

Later that afternoon
Sucking his thumb!

All snuggled up!

Saturday night after everything was quiet again, Jimmy and I had a date- we ate snacks and watched a movie together!

We slept well that night and had a relaxing Sunday morning. That afternoon we were cleared to leave.
Henry in his "going home" outfit.


In his carseat for the first time!

Headed home!

I am so thankful for the way God allowed Henry's birth to happen. I had prayed so hard that I would not have to be induced, that I would be able to have him naturally, that I would be able to labor at home, that Henry would not be affected by the medicine I took throughout my pregnancy, that the timing would be right for everyone involved, etc., etc. I prayed over so many different aspects of this labor. Ultimately, of course, I just wanted Henry to get here safely, but since God is interested in even the smallest of our concerns, I prayed about it all. And He amazed me with how he worked out every detail that I had been concerned about. 

I am also amazed at how He creates- that He could knit together such a precious boy inside my womb is beyond me. What a kind, good God and what a special gift to receive another son!




Comments

Popular Posts