Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was different for the Byrds this year, but we definitely enjoyed it! Normally we go to Aunt Jane's house for a delicious dinner and time with family. Well, last year we stayed in town and ate with friends since we had traveled the weekend before to TN and back. That was a lot of fun, but this year we were excited to have our regular Thanksgiving celebration once again. Until... the stomach bug hit. Ugh. Jane and Frank had been sick (along with most of the rest of us!) and were unable to host or cook. We found out about this the night before Thanksgiving. I was sitting in McDonald's with the kids... Jimmy had been at work and then went straight to class, so I went out with the kids for an easy dinner. In the midst of talking with Mom on the phone, trying to keep Charlie in his high chair, and sniffing out a blow-out from Henry, I decided to cook Thanksgiving dinner for my family, my parents, and my brother! Jimmy had a voucher from his job for a free turkey (from a specific Food Lion in Durham), so I went home to tend to the blow-out, drove out to 440 to get the voucher from Jimmy at school, drove to Durham to get the turkey and other groceries, and then came home to put together most of our feast for the next day!! Needless to say, I had a wonderful time doing all of it, thought it was a delightful adventure, and napped through most of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade the next morning since I was pooped from staying up late.

Mom, Dad, and Daniel got there around noon and played with the boys while Jimmy and I finished lunch preparations. We sat down to eat about 2:15. (Lunch was "scheduled" for 2, so we weren't too late!)
 
Yes. I wore a ruffly apron. Here I am with the turkey. I really love being in my kitchen- especially if I get to cook for a party!
 
I decided we needed a homemade applesauce poundcake with brown sugar icing. Yum! Jimmy is in the background carving the turkey.
 
The finished product.
 
Charlie having a pre-Thanksgiving snack.
 
Enjoying his lunch! He ate before the rest of us.
 
Henry's Thanksgiving lunch
 
Granddaddy and Henry
 
Charlie and Daniel playing around- Charlie now asks for Daniel frequently. He'll say, "Danul? Danul?"
 
The guys (minus Henry)
 
Turkey, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, and the rest of the deviled eggs (we ate some as an appetizer earlier...)
 
Dressing, gravy, mac & cheese, green bean casserole, and Mom's sweet potato casserole.
 
Dessert- Mom's homemade pumpkin pie, chocolate chess pie from the Windmill Bakery, and the applesauce pound cake
 
My lame attempt at a decoration for the table.
 
So, Charlie saw me making the cake earlier and had been asking for cake off and on all morning. I kept telling him he could have some later. When it was finally time to eat dessert, he actually did a little happy dance! Here he is enjoying his dessert!
 
After lunch the guys relaxed watching football, Mom was amazing and washed my dishes, and the boys got ready to go home with Granana and Granddaddy. I had picked up an extra shift at work on Friday and my normal baby-sitter was out of town, so they headed to VA for a fun time.
 
Cozy in the back seat!
 
After snuggling on the couch and napping a bit, Jimmy and I headed out to Cary to the movies! We got to watch "Lincoln," which was awesome, and I couldn't resist a small bag of popcorn since we don't go to the movies very often! It was nice to have time to chat on the way there and back.
 
All in all, it was such a nice day! We were thankful to be able to share a meal with family and relax together, and thankful to steal some time away just the two of us as well!

Comments

Popular Posts